The Magento 2 extension for Engage allows Magento customers to leverage Engage as their customer experience platform, enabling a more personalized experience for end-users.
This article is about promotions in Magento. You'll find a full and more technical overview of the extension here in the Engage developer portal. If you’re interested in how to work with reward vouchers, read more here.
When the Magento extension is implemented, you’re able to assign promotions (personal discounts) in Engage and enable the staff to apply them for customers at the checkout. Once the discount has been applied and the purchase made, the extension automatically redeems the promotion in Engage so that it can’t be used again.
Magento is the master of price logic, which means that discounts should always be created first in the Magento admin under the section Cart price rule. Once created with the correct settings (explained further down), a promotion will automatically be created as a draft in Engage with the correct reference code already inserted.
Create a cart price rule for promotions in Engage
- Percent of product price discount
- Fixed amount discount
- Fixed amount discount for whole cart
- Buy X get Y for free (discount amount is Y)
9. After setting up the rules, click Save and the promotion is created as a draft in Engage. From there you can choose to assign the discount to your customer segment either manually or through Engage's marketing automation tool.
Combining online and offline promotions
A promotion is automatically created in Engage when you create a cart price rule in Magento 2, and such a promotion can also be set to be valid in-store (POS). Here’s how:
1. In Engage, navigate to the promotion that was created by Magento 2.
2. Tick the box Can be used in-store.
3. Choose promotion type: Monetary discount, Discount in percent, or External promotion code.
4. Enter the value of the discount.
This requires an integration with the POS supporting multichannel promotion assignment in Engage. Note that the type of promotion may vary depending on your POS integration.
Using a promotion at checkout
The extension has out-of-the-box support for manual input of the customer's promotion code, which they’ve received by email or SMS, into the discount code field in checkout. This automatically applies the discount to the customer's basket.
Note that if you want to present all available promotions to the customer, allowing them to choose which one to use at checkout, this requires additional front-end development.
When the purchase in finalized, the extension redeems the voucher in Engage so that it cannot be used again in other channels.
This setting allows you to decide at what stage in a purchase the promotion is redeemed in Engage.
There are two different options:
- Redeem when the order has been fulfilled (Invoice)
- Redeem at the order confirmation stage (Order)
If the order is not initially booked as an invoice in the Magento admin view, you should select the option Order as in the image above. This will redeem the promotion as soon as the order has been submitted.