The Regular store can be registered in two different ways:
- Registration based on transactional history: The regular store is updated every night based on new registered transactions. If no transactions are registered, Engage will automatically select the recruiting store as the regular store.
- Manual registration: You can manually select and change the regular store for each contact and/or use this guide to bulk edit multiple contacts.
This guide is mainly applicable if you don’t have access to transactions in Engage. When the regular store is based on transactions, it's often based on our RFM model and shouldn’t be changed manually except if one of your stores shut down for good.
Remember to delete the closed store when you are done with your updates, or else your contacts will be moved back when the RFM is calculated the next time.
How to change the Regular store for multiple contacts
1. Create your export
Go to Administrations and select Export in the main menu, and then choose Create a new export.
- Select the regular store you want to move contacts from.
- Select a contact type (for example member or contact). You can only choose one specific contact type for each import, so if you want to move multiple contact types you need to repeat this guide for each contact type.
- Click Next and select the regular store and Contact Id.
2. External Id
Look up the External Id of the store you are moving your contacts to. Go to Administration and Stores in the main menu and find the store that you are moving your contacts to. Copy the store’s External Id.
3. Prepare your file
Open the exported file in Excel and make the following changes:
- Change the column name “Regular store” to “Regular store Id”.
- Change the store name from the old store to the External Id you copied in step two. Make sure to update all rows.
- Add a new column and name it “Labels”. Come up with a unique label (e.g., “ChangedStore”) and insert it to all rows in the column. This will enable validating the results of your import later.
- Save file as type CSV-UTF-8 (Comma delimited).
4. Import the file in Engage
- Go to Contacts, click Import/Export, and select Import contacts in the main menu. Upload your file and select the contact type you have exported. Click Next.
- Determine how to interpret the contents of the file. You usually don’t need to make any changes but if you're on a Mac computer you might have to change the text encoding field, most likely to “UTF-8”, for the content to be interpreted correctly. Check that your data looks correct. Click Next.
- Step three is the field mapping. Make sure the column names in your file are mapped to the correct fields in Engage. “Contact Id” and “Labels” should be correct from start, but "Regular store Id” must be redirected to “Regular store”. Click Next.
- Take a final look and proceed with the import. You'll get a notification with the number of updated contacts.
Want to check if your change was completed with success? Go to the label you created in your file (via Labels on the Targeting tab in the main menu) and check a few contact cards to see if they have been updated with the new regular store.
5. Delete the old store in Engage
Remember to delete the store that will be shut down for good when you are done, otherwise your contacts will be moved back to the old store when the RFM is calculated the next time.