If an error occur, a good place to start troubleshooting is the integration log.
All errors will be logged here. You can configure Engage to send an email to a specific address for every integration log entry made with the status Failures.
Here are some specific error cases and how to deal with them.
1) My Facebook custom audience could not be added
Case: When adding a Facebook custom audience (called an external audience in Engage) the following message appears:
- The Engage user who's adding the audience do not have administration permission in Facebook Business manager. Solution: Make sure the user is added as administrator to Facebook Business Manager.
- Facebook terms and conditions for use of Custom Audiences have not been accepted by your company. To resolve this, follow the steps below.
- The user access token has not been renewed. Facebook requires the token to be renewed every 90 days (required by Facebook since April 2018).
How to accept Facebook terms and conditions for custom audiences
Terms and conditions appear when you create a custom audience in Facebook Business Manager. So let's initiate this process. You don't need to finish the whole workflow (this only has to be done once).
1. From the main menu in Business Manager, go to Audience that is located under the Assets section. Under the custom audience option, click Create custom audience.
2. A new window appears. Click Customer file.
3. Now you're asked to prepare your customer list. Click Next.
4. Next you're asked to choose if the file contains a value, click yes or no. It will make no difference as we just want to receive the terms and conditions.
5. The window shows the terms and condition for shared audience responsibilities, and all you need to do is approve.
6. Once you've hit accept, just close the data file dialogue. You don't need to select or upload anything—Engage will perform the sync for you.
Now you're up and running.
How to renew the user token
Access tokens need to be renewed every 90 days with the consent of the person using your app (i.e., Engage user and also set up as admin to the FB admin account). This means that every 90 days you must send a person through the Facebook Login process, and the person must agree to specific data permissions by tapping the Continue button.
2) My online ad account won't work
There are two ways to see the health of your online ad account. Firstly, check the status of the ad account in the Engage UI, visible in the Status column:
The other way is through the integration log. In the log, search for log entries of type "External Audience Synchronizer" as in the image below.
To address the problem, select the ad account in the Engage UI and select Update account.
Then go through the process to add an an account (follow the steps given here).